Monday, August 18, 2014

Photography at Butterfly Park Jubilee Hills Hyderabad

It's quite easy to get misled by the name of this park. I went there hoping I will find some good butterflies, however, this park although very well maintained, unfortunately has no butterflies.

But the story doesn't end here my friends, it actually just started.

I got down from the car, took out my camera and right there over my head on the electric line, was a bird sitting and calling merrily. I was perplexed because I haven't clicked this bird before and I was almost jumping in my place to spot a lifer. The light was dropping and I couldn't ID it that time, I went back home, checked all reference material but I found it so hard to positively ID it.

At last after a lot of research I could identify it as Square Tailed Drongo Cuckoo (A Migratory Bird from Sri Lanka and South East Asia) which comes to India only during the monsoons. I couldn't just believe my luck ... I was thrilled to spot my number 172 and that too which is not a resident. Last time in my Thattekad Kerala trip, I spotted the Fork Tailed Drongo Cuckoo. The picture didn't come out well hence I didn't post it there, but today I have to post it here to show the difference.

The Square Tailed Drongo Cuckoo (Migrant from Sri Lanka / SE Asia) - A Lifer for me.
Square tailed Drongo Cuckoo
The resident Fork Tailed Drongo Cuckoo (Clicked in Thattekad Kerala)
Fork tailed Drongo Cuckoo


This is what Bird Photography does to you, you can't just have enough of it.
We went inside the park, no entry ticket, no butterflies there, rather this park is being used by the nearby local residents to walk their dogs. Finally managed to find a park where dogs are allowed. I'm sure I will take Eins along some time soon.

Very well maintained landscape, good green grass lawn in the middle and a jogging track alongside the park. I could spot a few birds in those trees around the park, got some beautiful shots as well but nothing beats the Square Tailed Drongo Cuckoo.

Click here for Google Maps

Enjoy the pics below.

Common Tailorbird

White-throated Kingfisher

Ashy Prinia

Red-vented Bulbul

Ashy Prinia

Plain Prinia

Overall a very satisfying day, with a wonderful lifer and discovering a park that allows Eins to tag along with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment